6 cups apples, chopped
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1¼ cups dried tart cherries
1 cup celery, thinly sliced
½ cup red onion, finely chopped
½ cup light, reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted & coarsely chopped
Additional protein, if desired
(1) Prepare your oven to 350° F.
(2) Place chopped nuts in a single layer on a large-rimmed baking sheet.
(3) Toast nuts on middle rack for 10-15 minutes, stirring once during baking time.
(4) In a large bowl toss chopped apples with lemon zest and juice.
(5) Stir in cherries, celery and red onion. Lightly mix in mayonnaise.
(5) If serving immediately, stir in toasted pecans. Otherwise, refrigerate and stir in pecans right before serving.